The Infamous Velvet Teddy

Hello Everyone!

Today I am back with another post, and today's post is going to be a different one to what I have done, because it is all about one product. The product in question, may you wonder is the very famous Velvet Teddy, a lipstick from Mac. This particular lipstick has become a favourite with most makeup wearers and was literally sold out for months. As with all Mac lipsticks in the normal collection this lipstick is £15.50. So today's post is going to be all about this lipstick, what I think about it, what it looks like and also some cheap dupes as I know not everyone may be able to buy it. So let's get started!

So I am going to start with the lipstick itself. This lipstick has a matte finish (if you didn't already know Mac have a variety of lipstick finishes) meaning it has no shine to it. This was my first matte lipstick from Mac, although I have tried the retro matte finish which is similar. In terms of application I was actually pleasantly surprised by how nicely the lipstick applied as with the retro matte finishes they are a lot harder to apply, but this particular lipstick has an almost cream to matte texture. I can't however say this will be the case for all of the Mac lipsticks with a matte finish, as I haven't got another one to compare it to.

Here is a picture of the lipstick when it was new:


From this picture it looks like a peach/pink colour but it is nothing like that when applied! When I first saw it I thought I had picked up the complete wrong lipstick, but as you start to use it it goes to the brown/pink colour it should be. 

Here is a picture of the lipstick now:


Although this picture isn't as good quality I feel like this one shows the colour in a better way than the previous picture. As you can also see from the previous picture I have used this lipstick a lot. It is actually my most used (and most recently bought) Mac lipstick I own! 

So because I know not everyone can or wants to spend £15.50 on a lipstick they may or may not like I have come up with a few high street alternatives which have near on the same look! You can find them below.


The lipsticks from L-R next to each other for comparison in the stick! As you can see they're all very similar looking! 


The first (and cheapest) dupe is from MUA. This is from their matte range of lipsticks which are surprisingly good for the price of only £1! The colour is called Fawn Fancy and is very similar to Velvet Teddy! They are very buildable. not too drying and are quite pigmented. This colour is almost an exact match to velvet teddy and is just an overall lovely lipstick. If brown nudes aren't your colour then I recommend checking out the rest of the lipsticks in the MUA range as there is a very wide range of colours and finishes, and at only £1 they are amazing quality and very easy to get hold of (try your local superdrug or on their website (www.muastore.co.uk)



The second dupe is from Natural Collection. This is a brand I find no one really speaks of, and I have no idea why as most of their products are very good quality for their very cheap price and they do a rather large range to suit everyone's needs. This lipstick is from their Moisture Shine range of lipsticks, which are described as being moisturising and having a high shine. I must say this range of lipsticks definitely meets both of those standards, and also has extra bonuses such as being a high colour, and having one of the best high street ranges to suit people of all skin tones. The only negative is that this lipstick isn't matte (which Velvet Teddy is) and so doesn't have a similar formula but you could always put some translucent powder over the top which will give a matte effect. This lipstick is my favourite from the range, costs a mere £1.99 and is definitely worth a trip to your local Boots.



My final dupe comes from Collection, and it is the Lasting Colour lipstick in the colour Rosewood. This is another very similar colour to Velvet Teddy. This lipstick is slightly more expensive than the other two lipsticks, but not by much at all. This lipstick is £2.99 from Boots or Superdrug, so is still extremely affordable. This is a very creamy, highly pigmented lipstick and it also wears very well. The colour is almost exact and the formulation is very similar, although this lipstick has more of a semi-matte finish.


Here are the swatches! From L-R: Mua's Fawn Fancy, Collection's Rosewood, Mac's Velvet Teddy and Natural Collection's Biscuit.


So that was my views on this lipstick! I hope this has now helped some of you make the choice to either buy it or not, or maybe find a cheaper alternative! Please let me know what you think of this lipstick if you have it, or if not let me know if you too have some cheaper alternatives!

Thanks for reading!



2 comments:

  1. What shade is the natural collection lipstick please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      The shade is called Biscuit.

      Hope this helps! :)

      Delete