Review - Silent Songbird Boutique's Wax Melts!

Hi Everyone,

Today's post is going to be a review of some wax products I have recently tried out!

A little while ago I got in touch with the lovely Anita who runs her company Silent Songbird Boutique. She very kindly sent me a package with a selection of her products to try out and share with you. You may have seen my unboxing video, over on my YouTube channel where I showed you what was in the box, but here is a more detailed and opinionated post for you!

So I'll start with a little bit of background information. Anita is 28 and runs her own company from the Lake District, selling home fragrance items and also sells other crafts such as paper cut art. You can find her work on her website as well as her Instagram page and her Facebook page.

Anita very kindly sent me a box of her flameless products to try out, and share with all of you. She sent me a little bit of everything, so this is a good place to get some information before you then buy from her page, as you can find out which products would suit you best.

All of these items can be found under the 'flameless items' section on her website, which is also mobile friendly for those of you on your phone/tablet. Please bear in mind that when you purchase flameless items, you need a wax burner in order to use them.

Anita uses soy wax for all of her products, Soy wax is made from vegetable oil and is completely renewable, making it a good choice to produce candles from.

Anita sells all of her wax products in a wide range of scents. She has a scent list on her website which you can decide which scents you want.

The first item I received from Anita, was one of her wax melt packs. These usually come in a pack of ten and are priced at £4 a pack. The melts I got were a little bigger than a two pence piece, and I really like this size as some melts take too long to burn and so lose their scent after a while. These would be great for people with small wax burners/want something small and simple. They come in different shapes and colours, however the ones I received are flower shaped and are a light cream colour. I was given the scent 'White Peach & Silk Flowers' which is described as 'a beautiful arrangement of sophisticated florals including peony petals, muguet lily and silk flowers (mimosa flowers), floral sandalwood and floral musk, with effervescent top notes of fresh peach, mandarin and neroli blossoms. To me they are a very familiar scent, which reminds me of the smell of soap and so is very feminine and powerful. I used one of these in my wax burner, and was very impressed. The scent was very powerful, considering I used one melt and the scent lasted, which I was very happy with.


The next items I received are the individual melts. These are priced at £1 each and I received two of these. The individual melts are approximately 20g each and are a lot bigger than the ones in the wax melt pack. I got two scents, 'Cinnamon Sticks' and 'Chocolate Covered Strawberries'. Cinnamon Sticks is described as 'the aroma of fresh ground cinnamon bark. Simple and true.' and Chocolate Covered Strawberries is described as 'hints of orange liqueur that accent the fresh fruit tones of this confection. Ripe red strawberries are surrounded by creamy milk chocolate notes to create a decadent treat.' My favourite out of the two is chocolate covered strawberries, but I am a huge fan of fruity/sweet scents hence that being my favourite! Cinnamon Sticks is great for those who love more warm/spicy scents. I think these melts are great value for money, as they are very reasonably sized, and as always with Anita's products the scents are very strong, and are very long lasting.






Anita then generously sent me three of her deluxe melts. These are priced at £1.35 each and weigh around 20-23g. These are slightly more in price than the individual melts, but this is due to the fact they have a higher fragrance load and have been decorated to produce a more luxurious melt. The colours blend, the glitter sparkles and the confetti floats as the melt is in use. The deluxe melts also come in a little plastic container which you could re-use for other things once the melt is used. The three scents I received were: Pink Lemonade - described as 'a mouth-watering combination of ice-cold lemonade, sweet, juicy raspberries; with a unique twist of natural lavender and white musk. 
Fresh Outdoors - described as 'for those who absolutely love the outdoors! You'll smell the air, the grass, the dirt, and all of nature's beauty. The crisp fragrance creates a natural sensation. Breezy tones of fresh ozone and bright orange oil highlight a floral blend of jasmine and lily at the heart of the blend. Clean woody elements of cedar and pine balance with a hint of spice to accent the floral accord. A clear musk undertone envelops the outdoors sensation with shimmering sweetness. Indian Sandalwood - described as 'warm, sweet, rich and woody.' I think the deluxe melts would make great gifts as they are more decorative than the other products. You could also break the melts into two to create a longer lasting product if you wanted to, or use the melt in one go for a extra luxury. My favourite scent of the three is pink lemonade, due to it's light yet sweet scent with a hint of citrus. It's also my favourite scent out of the whole box. Fresh outdoors is very much a fresh, meadow-like scent so great for those who love the scent of plants/flowers. Indian sandlewood is a very clean and home-like scent. It reminds me of the scent of freshly laundered washing.





The next items I was sent are the fragrance flakes. These come in three sizes, sample size (£2 for 15g), small size (£4 for 40g) and large size (£6 for 80g). I received the small size, which I think is actually a very good size for the price. I could definitely get 3-5 uses out of each bag. Fragrance flakes are the best option for those who aren't sure if a wax melt will fit their burner, as they are guaranteed to fit in any burner due to their size. You can also use fragrance flakes to mix with other scents, as they are small enough to create unique combinations. They are also good as you can choose the amount you want to use. I got two scents of the fragrance flakes: Bergamot - described as 'crisp, clean and juicy with a subtle floralcy; this citrus jewel of the Mediterranean is uplifting and bright. The other scent I got was Parma Violet, described as 'a soft sweet musky fragrance, just like the famous lilac sweet.' My favourite out of these two scents is Parma Violet, which smells very much like the sweets. Bergamot is great for those who love a clean homely scent.




The final product I was sent were two scent sticks. Scent sticks come in a variety of options. A set of three is £3.10, a set of six is £6.30 and a set of nine is £9.50. Scent sticks are a dual scented stick which contains a different fragrance of your choice within each layer. The way these are supposed to be used is by snapping a piece off and putting it in the wax burner to allow the scents to fuse together.
I was sent the 'Cracklin Birch & Frosted Pinecones' scent - the cracklin birch layer is described as ' beginning with top notes of bergamot, orange and lemon; with middle notes of geranium, lily and rose; and base notes of patchouli, vetiver and tonka beans. The frosted pinecones layer is described as 'a wonderful blend of herbaceous pine and spruce, combined with notes of rosemary, carnation, cedar and hints of spice. These two scents go together very well and create a lovely warm, festive and spicy aroma.



All of Anita's wax melts I used created a wonderful scent and ones that lasted too. I personally prefer Anita's melts over any I've used before, including Yankee Candle, and I much prefer helping smaller businesses, as it helps communities more and gives people more opportunities. This is Anita's sole job and I think she really cares about the quality of her products and what the customer will receive. Her products are all handmade and are all very good quality. I will definitely be purchasing from Anita in the future, and urge you to do so too if you are a fan of candles etc. Anita does sell candles with wicks if you prefer that style/do not have a wax burner.

My package arrived very quickly and safely. Everything was wrapped with bubble wrap, and then displayed in the most beautiful way with red tissue paper and brown string. Little extra touches like this would make Anita's products amazing gifts, or just to make you feel that little more special when you open it. Anita has some amazing ideas for her products and also does great promotions such as her 'Mystery Box' deal.


One of the main things I really love about Anita is the passion and care that she puts into her work. For example, on every single item she puts a label on there, explaining the safety around the wax melts. I didn't know until she told me that these are called CLP labelling and it is actually required by law when producing products with chemicals in. I've noticed that many companies don't do this but I think little things such as Anita's care to make sure she follows all safety rules shows how dedicated she is to her job, and why her company is of such a high standard.
Also in my package was a little bag with some sweets in which I thought was a lovely gesture. Another thing I really like about Anita is that she is so friendly and provides great customer service. I also like how she doesn't waste products through things such as her 'Perfectly Imperfect' range, which is a selection of products with minor imperfections which she sells at a reduced price. Little things like this show how she also doesn't want to waste products, which is very positive when it comes to environmental problems.

Overall, I think Anita produces very good quality products for the price, and is truly a lovely person who cares about what she is creating. Her items I would definitely recommend.

I hope you all enjoyed this post,





1 comment:

  1. This was such an interesting read! I really enjoyed it! Your blog is so lovely!xx

    Check out my recent?:)
    http://hannahporterx.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/a-slight-obsession-collection-lasting.html

    ReplyDelete