STRETCH MARKS & WHY WE SHOULD ACCEPT THEM

Hello everyone,

Today's post is going to be all about stretch marks. What are they? why do we have them? and most of all, why do we dislike them?

What are they?
So after a quick search on Google, here is what I found for the definition of stretch marks (sourced from the NHS website). "Stretch marks are narrow streaks or lines that occur on the surface of the skin. Often red/purple to start with, before gradually fading to a silvery/white colour". Also on the website it says that stretch marks can occur all over the body, and occur to all different kinds of people, with different circumstances.

Why do we have them?
Again, after a quick search on the NHS website, here is what I found for why we have stretch marks, in medical terms. "Stretch marks are caused when the skin rapidly stretches as a result of sudden growth/weight gain. The stretching causes the middle layer of skin to tear, allowing the deeper skin layers to show through, forming stretch marks". Now this is a very brief and simple description, but I mainly wanted to add this to the post in order to show how it is a completely natural and common thing. As they are mostly caused around growth, stretch marks are more common in those with "growing" circumstances, such as pregnant women, girls/boys going through puberty, and other medical conditions too.

My personal experience
So I have stretch marks pretty much everywhere. I have them on my legs, arms, shoulders, chest, stomach, back. When I say everywhere, I really do mean everywhere!! I first started getting stretch marks around ages 13/14 I believe, and I remember at first I really hated them. Over time however they have faded and I think it got to the point where I had so many that I got used to them too. Another thing I came to realise was that literally everyone seems to have stretch marks, and this helped to normalize them for me. I have some stretch marks that go very deep which I don’t like when I see them, and I don’t like that I have stretch marks on my stomach but I have noticed now that  this is a toxic mindset, as they are something completely natural, can’t be helped and also really aren’t that bad. I find with lots of things in my life it is important for me to think about my own perspective, and I wouldn’t look at someone with stretch marks and think oh no, that looks bad. I wouldn’t even notice/think anything of it - and so people are most likely doing the same for me. So I have learnt to love and accept my stretch marks over time - even the ones I didn’t like before. I do think them fading has helped as they are a lot less visible now.

Why we should learn to accept & appreciate them
As I mentioned before, it seems that pretty much everyone has stretch marks. So for me, it makes no sense as to why they are still stigmatized and seen as unwanted. I think it is important for everyone to embrace the skin they are in - whether that skin has stretch marks, scars or other marks too. There really is so much more to life and when I hear of people not wearing certain things or not feeling comfortable in certain situations because of their stretch marks, it makes me truly sad. Sad to live in an unrealistic and unnatural world. Some people have stretch marks because of amazing things such as pregnancy, growth of certain areas and weight gain (which for some can be a positive thing). So the real idea I am trying to get across in this post is that stretch marks are just marks at the end of the day. Minor marks and a sign of life! I hope as time goes on ideas such as stretch marks being ‘flaws’ disappears so that people of the future (and current people) stop placing so much emphasis on such minor details and encourage and embrace diversity. It is something that I will definitely and do practice and hope to pass it on to others.

How to look after stretch marks/scars/delicate skin
An important thing to keep in mind when dealing with ‘flaws’ such as stretch marks, is how to see them in a positive light and I think care of whatever you see as a flaw can sometimes help. As stretch marks are similar to scarred skin, it does need that extra care and that’s where Rio Rosa comes in! I have been using two of their products, the body butter which is more of an all over product for me, as it's really luxurious and great for making your skin feel soft and amazing. The main product I have been using on my stretch marks however is their Rosehip Seed Oil, which I use specifically on areas I feel need that extra care. I have been using both products for a while now and love them both. They both feel great on the skin and feel very high quality which is what I love in body products. Both are reasonably priced and easy to get hold of (via the Rio Rosa website). You can use the code ‘MEG20’ for 20% off your first order too! The products are 100% natural and I think they're great! Of course you don't have to use these exact products, anything that links a positive action with the idea of stretch marks/anything you don't like on yourself should eventually mean you condition (probably a reference to Pavlov in there) yourself into accepting the way you are and embracing it.

A message to anyone out there battling issues with how they look - stretch marks or not - I hope you find love for yourself, as you truly deserve a life of self love and worth, and never ever let anyone make you think differently.




Never thought I'd be putting a picture of my stretch marks on the internet - but life is a bit like that sometimes! Put in black and white as they are not very visible alone. I definitely can't be ashamed of them now!!

Thanks for reading!






No comments:

Post a Comment